Wyggeston Lodge No.3448
Warranted: 9th May 1910
Consecrated: 1st July 1910
Centenary Warrant: 1st July 2010
Held at Freemasons’ Hall, Leicester, on the third Friday from October to April at such hour as the W.M. may appoint.
Installation meeting: November
UGLE Universities' Scheme Lodge for the University of Leicester
The first meeting considering the formation of the Wyggeston Lodge was held in the Masonic Hall in Halford Street, Leicester on 11th April 1910. Twenty Brethren were present and as a result of their deliberations the Lodge was consecrated on 1st July 1910. A total of 34 Brethren were party to the Petition to form the Lodge and with the majority of those being from Commercial Lodge No. 1391 that Lodge became our “Mother Lodge”. The Consecration took place in the new Masonic Hall at 80 London Road, Leicester with W.Bro. F.W. Billson as the Founding Worshipful Master.
The motto of the Lodge, “Date eleemosynam et ecce omnia munda sunt vobis” which translates to “Give freely of yourself and behold all Worlds are yours”, was that of William Wygston, the famous Leicester citizen.
In 1925, members of the Wyggeston Lodge requested permission to form a Lodge to be known as “Knighton Lodge No.4711” which thus became the first “Daughter Lodge” of the Wyggeston Lodge. In 1937, the procedure was repeated with the “Lodge of Welcome No.5664” becoming our second “Daughter Lodge”.
The Lodge continued to prosper during the 1930’s with membership standing at 110 by 1939.
The activity of the Lodge was somewhat curtailed during the Second World War with meetings taking place at lunchtimes instead of the usual time in the evening. With the cessation of hostilities in 1945 matters returned to normal and in the May of that year our third “Daughter Lodge”, “Wyvern Lodge No.6167” was formed.
In the 1950’s the membership of the Lodge fell slightly but there was still a waiting time of up to two years before a candidate could be Initiated. Our Golden Anniversary in 1960 saw W.Bro. T.G.S. Ellwood as Worshipful Master, with the anniversary meeting being attended by 82 Brethren. Representatives from our Mother Lodge, Commercial Lodge and our three Daughter Lodges joined other visitors in a memorable evening.
On the 1st July 2010, the Wyggeston Lodge celebrated its Centenary where W.Bro. R.W. Rankin presided as Worshipful Master. This was attended by 169 Brethren including the Provincial Grand Master of Leicestershire and Rutland, R.W.Bro. D.V. Hagger, who presented a Centenary Warrant, and representatives from our Mother and Daughter Lodges. The Brethren assembled for a Festive Board, which contained a 6-course menu reflecting the original Consecration menu of 1910.
In April 2011, the Brethren of the Wyggeston Lodge agreed to join the Universities’ Scheme to forge links between Freemasonry and University students studying at the University of Leicester.
As the Lodge moves into its second century the Lodge motto, “Give freely of yourself and behold all Worlds are yours”, is as pertinent today as it was in 1910.
Why I became a Freemason whilst an undergraduate student at Leicester University
Wyggeston Lodge holds historic meeting with 5 new Inititates
The Provincial Grand Master conducts a Triple Passing at Beacon Lodge
Over £36,000 presented to local charities by Leicestershire and Rutland Freemasons
Wyggeston Lodge assist with FareShare Neighbourhood Food Collection
Freemasonry Today interviews University of Leicester students
Members attend the University Lodges’ Ball
University Lodges attend Universities’ Scheme National Conference
Universities’ Scheme Lodges visit Oxford
Assistant Grand Master visits The Wyggeston Lodge
Gartree Lodge Passes Student for Wyggeston Lodge
Quadruple Initiation of University Students
£17,000 given to Local Charities